OWL is a curriculum designed to help students gain the knowledge, life principles, and skills they need to express their sexuality in life-enhancing ways. This curriculum is an expression of the belief that educating institutions – religious communities, community organizations, and schools – can form meaningful partnerships with parents and caregivers to provide positive and responsible sexuality education.
OWL is inclusive of and welcoming to all gender identities and sexual orientations.
The core curriculum contains no religious creeds or faith confessions. Grinnell UCC sponsors the program as part of its commitment to social justice. Families of any or no faith affiliations are welcome to participate. The “Sexuality and Our Faith” curricular addendum explores the relationship between human sexuality and spirituality. Families may opt into this curricular companion, which will be taught in the final 15 minutes of each session.
If your child has participated in OWL before, YOU ARE OUR BEST REFERENCE! Please help spread word about this amazing program to other families in the wider community!
Advance registration is required for OWL courses.
Our Whole Lives (OWL) K-1: Nurturing Inquisitive Minds and Compassionate Hearts
Dear Grinnell UCC and Grinnell Community Members,
We’re delighted to introduce the Our Whole Lives (OWL) K-1 program, an enlightening eight-workshop curriculum designed for children aged five through seven, designed to support parents and caregivers in educating children about birth, babies, bodies, and families.
Key Features of OWL K-1 Class
- Comprehensive and Progressive: Unlike many other sexuality curricula, OWL is a groundbreaking program that addresses sensitive topics comprehensively and progressively.
- Inclusive Approach: Developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ, this secular volume embraces an inclusive and developmentally appropriate approach.
Embark on an Exciting Learning Adventure
- Values-Driven: OWL instills values that promote empathy, understanding, and inclusivity.
- Engaging Learning – Each session is filled with captivating stories, songs, and activities tailed for children in kindergarten and first grade.
- HomeLink – Workshop summaries, at-home conversation starters, and activities provide ongoing support and opportunities for future discussions.
- Informational Program Meetings (In person at Grinnell UCC, 902 Broad St, Grinnell, IA)
- Meeting Option A: Saturday, January 6, 10:00-11:30 am
- Meeting Option B: Thursday, January 11, 6:30-8:00 pm
These meetings will cover essential information about the OWL program, session topics, the importance of attendance, and ways parents can support their children at home. We encourage you to attend one of these meetings to familiarize yourself with the content and have any questions addressed by facilitators.
- Official Start Date: The OWL K-1 program officially kicks off on Sunday, January 14. The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Simultaneous Parent/Caregiver and Child Orientation
- 3:00-3:15 pm: Short Break
- 3:15-4:14 pm: Session 1- Welcome to Our Whole Lives
- Regular Sessions (In Person at Grinnell UCC): Sundays from January 14 to March 2, 2:00-4:15 pm at Grinnell UCC (902 Broad St, Grinnell 50112)
The cost of the program is subsidized by Grinnell UCC. Families should select the fee that is appropriate to their household. Fees include 9 workshops led by trained facilitators, curriculum materials, and snacks provided during the sessions. If additional financial assistance is needed, please reach out to Lindsey Altenhofen, UCC Director of Outreach and Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 641-236-311, etc. 713.
Fee Level 1: $150 Fee Level 2: $200 Fee Level 3: $250
Grinnell UCC will cap the K-1 OWL class at 8 participants. To secure your spot, please submit the appropriate fee along with the completed registration form no later than Friday, January 12
. Paperwork can be submitted via email or dropped off at the church office Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday, 9 am – 3 pm. To register or for more information, please contact Lindsey Altenhofen, Director of Outreach and Education, at email@example.com
or 641-236-3111, ext. 713.
All Welcome, No Exceptions
Grinnell UCC sponsors the OWL program, underlining a commitment to social justice. Regardless of faith affiliations or none at all, all families are warmly invited to participate, contributing to the creation of an inclusive and accepting community.
Thank you for considering the OWL K-1 program! We look forward to a transformative and enriching experience for your family!